Sect. 1 The Dental Assisting Profession
- Ch. 1 History of Dentistry
- Ch. 2 The Professional Dental Assistant
- Ch. 3 The Dental Health Care Team
- Ch. 4 Dental Ethics
- Ch. 5 Dentistry and the Law
Sect. 2 Sciences in Dentistry
- Ch. 6 General Anatomy
- Ch. 7 General Physiology
- Ch. 8 Oral Embryology and Histology
- Ch. 9 Head and Neck Anatomy
- Ch. 10 Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity
- Ch. 11 Overview of the Dentition
- Ch. 12 Tooth Morphology
Sect. 3 Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease
- Ch. 13 Dental Caries
- Ch. 14 Periodontal Disease
- Ch. 15 Preventive Dentistry
- Ch. 16 Nutrition
- Ch. 17 Oral Pathology
Sect. 4 Infection Control in Dentistry
- Ch. 18 Microbiology
- Ch. 19 Disease Transmission and Infection Control
- Ch. 20 Principles and Techniques of Disinfection
- Ch. 21 Principles and Techniques of Sterilization
Sect. 5 Occupational Health and Safety
- Ch. 22 Regulatory and Advisory Agencies
- Ch. 23 Chemical Safety
- Ch. 24 Dental Unit Waterlines
- Ch. 25 Ergonomics
Sect. 6 Patient Information and Assessment
- Ch. 26 The Patient Record
- Ch. 27 Vital Signs
- Ch. 28 Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- Ch. 29 The Medically and Physically Compromised Patient
- Ch. 30 Principles of Pharmacology
- Ch. 31 Assisting in a Medical Emergency
Sect. 7 Foundation of Clinical Dentistry
- Ch. 32 The Dental Office
- Ch. 33 Delivering Dental Care
- Ch. 34 Dental Hand Instruments
- Ch. 35 Dental Handpieces and Accessories
- Ch. 36 Moisture Control
- Ch. 37 Anesthesia and Pain Control
Sect. 8 Dental Radiography
- Ch. 38 Radiation, Radiograph Equipment, and Safety
- Ch. 39 Dental Film and Processing Radiographs
- Ch. 40 Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Control
- Ch. 41 Intraoral Radiography
- Ch. 42 Extraoral and Digital Radiography
Sect. 9 Dental Materials
- Ch. 43 Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials
- Ch. 44 Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems
- Ch. 45 Dental Cements
- Ch. 46 Impression Materials
- Ch. 47 Laboratory Materials and Procedures
Sect. 10 Comprehensive Dental Care
- Ch. 48 Restorative Dentistry
- Ch. 49 Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry
- Ch. 50 Fixed Prosthodontics
- Ch. 51 Provisional Coverage
- Ch. 52 Removable Prosthodontics
- Ch. 53 Dental Implants
- Ch. 54 Endodontics
- Ch. 55 Periodontics
- Ch. 56 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Ch. 57 Pediatric Dentistry
- Ch. 58 Coronal Polishing
- Ch. 59 Dental Sealants
- Ch. 60 Orthodontics
Sect. 11 Dental Administration and Communication Skills
- Ch. 61 Communication in the Dental Office
- Ch. 62 Business Operating Systems
- Ch. 63 Financial Management in the Dental Office
- Ch. 64 Marketing Your Skills
Prepare for a successful career as a dental assistant! Modern Dental Assisting is the leading text in dental assisting -- the most trusted, the most comprehensive, and the most current. Using an easy-to-understand approach, this resource offers a complete foundation in the basic and advanced clinical skills you must master to achieve clinical competency. It describes dental assisting procedures with photographs and clear, step-by-step instructions.
Along with the textbook, this complete learning package includes a companion Evolve website replete with learning exercises and games and a DVD with video clips of dental assisting procedures plus animations and review questions.
Written by Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson, two well-known and well-respected dental assisting educators, this edition is also available as a PageburstTM e-book.
- Comprehensive coverage makes this your single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- A highly approachable writing style presents the latest information and procedures in a way that makes it easy to understand and apply the material.
- Concise chapters presented within short parts move from profession basics and sciences to infection control, safety, clinical dentistry, radiography, materials, specialty dental practice, and dental office administration.
- Superb, full-color illustrations and photographs show procedures, equipment, and instruments.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures show the skills that dental assistants must master, detailing for each the goal, equipment and supplies needed, chronological steps, and rationales.
- Expanded Functions procedures boxes describe special dental assisting procedures allowed only in certain states.
- Procedure icons alert you to issues relating to core procedures, e.g., that you should make notes in the patient's record, don personal protective equipment, or watch for moisture contamination.
- Key terms are accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, highlighted within the text, and defined in boxes on the same or facing page.
- Critical thinking questions end each chapter with mini-case scenarios and application-style questions.
- Learning and performance outcomes in each chapter set goals for what you will accomplish and also serve as checkpoints for comprehension, skills mastery, and study tools for exam preparation.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to review key concepts and procedures.
- Recall boxes appear after sections of text and include questions to ensure that you understand the material.
- CDC boxes cite the latest recommendations for infection control and summarize regulations.
- Eye to the Future boxes introduce cutting-edge research, future trends, and topics.
- Legal and Ethical Implications boxes focus on the behaviors that you will need to practice to protect yourself, your patients, and the practice for which you work.
- Patient Education boxes summarize content within the context of patient education take-away points.
- A glossary provides a quick and handy way to look up terminology, with chapter references indicating where terms are introduced and discussed within chapters.
- Interactive Dental Office program on the companion Evolve website provides 25 case studies with integrated radiographic mounting and dental charting exercises to help you problem-solve your way through a wide variety of dental conditions and procedures; games help you review and study in the areas of pathology, radiation safety, business office activities, workplace safety, oral anatomy, and dental instruments.
- Canadian Content Corner on the Evolve site highlights Canadian-specific dental information.
- A student workbook corresponds to the textbook and offers review and practice of essential tasks that dental assistants perform every day, plus competency skill sheets and detachable flashcards for on-the-go review. Sold separately.
New to this edition
- NEW content includes areas such as digital imaging, implant dentistry, sleep dentistry, dental materials, the electronic patient record, HIPAA laws and implications, stem cell research, and caries prevention.
- Expanded information about working with special needs and medically compromised patients includes eating disorders, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- NEW procedures include taking a patient's oximetry and ECG, applying fluoride varnish, using the caries detection device, and performing extraoral and intraoral photography, in addition to several new radiographic procedures.
- NEW photos show current products and equipment.
- Procedure exercises on Evolve offer practice in correctly ordering the steps in each procedure.
- A companion DVD features more than 70 video clips of dental assisting procedures plus animations and review questions, including two new clips: Assisting in a Class II Amalgam Restoration, and Positioning the High-Volume Evacuator During a Procedure.
- Online practice CDA examination mimics the style of the CDA exam with 250 multiple-choice questions with answers, rationales, and chapter references to help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and prepare for the exam.
- Hardcover: 1216 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 10 edition (March 31, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1437717292
- ISBN-13: 978-1437717297
- Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 8.9 x 1.9 inches
List Price: $102.00